Kara, EQ Yoga instructor and coach, prepared a delicious dish and took this photo of her masterpiece.
“What’s for lunch??😊 Summery Quinoa! Very easy to make and full of protein, fiber and lots of vitamins! You could easily substitute any of the veggies for other favorites too. Healthy and delicious! “ Kara
“If you’ve never tried quinoa, this is the dish I use to get people turned on to it. There’s so much goodness in this quick, light, and savory side dish. Quinoa is a complete protein, like eggs and meat, but also gives you the added benefits of fiber, complex carbs, and lots of minerals, including iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. No wonder this ancient grain has staying power!” Susan Greeley, MS, RD, author of the cookbook “Lighten Up”, Cooking with Trader Joe’s.
It makes 6 servings and only takes 15 minutes to make.
VEGETARIAN AND GLUTEN FREE
Per 1 Cup Serving: 250 calories, 10g fat, 1g saturated fat, 7g protein, 33g carbs, 5g fiber, 220mg sodium
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1 large lemon
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Rinse quinoa with cold water and cook quinoa according to instructions (12 minutes cooking time once water boils). When done, transfer to serving bowl.
- If using frozen edamame, microwave it for 1 1/2 minutes on high power to thaw.
- Add all vegetables and mint to quinoa and toss.
- Squeeeeeeeze lemon over quinoa using a small strainer to catch seeds.
- Pour on olive oil, add salt, and toss well.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Thank you Kara for sharing your experience of making Summer Quinoa.
EQ’s Instagram: @equalize_fitness