Going Green Rotini (Penne)
Members and Visitors of Equalize,
This delicious pasta and vegetable dish is the first of many healthy dishes we will share with you. I had the pleasure of making: “Going Green Rotini” by my friend Susan Greeley, MS, RD, author of the cookbook “Lighten Up”, Cooking with Trader Joe’s.
It makes 8 servings and only takes 15 minutes to make.
You can substitute the pasta and veggies. I used Penne Pasta and added diced sundried tomatoes.
Per Serving: 220 calories, 9.5g fat, 2g saturated fat, 9g protein, 29g carbs, 5g fiber, 250mg sodium
- 10 oz Rotini (or pasta of your choice.)
- 1/2 lb asparagus
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot.
- Cut the tough end of asparagus and cut spears into thirds.
- After 5 minutes of cooking pasta, add asparagus, sugar snap peas, and broccoli. Cook 2-3 more minutes, until pasta is soft and vegetables are tender, but not overcooked.
- Pour pasta/veggies into colander to drain, and then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Squeeze lemons over a strainer (to catch the seeds) into a small bowl. Add olive oil, crushed garlic, basil, salt, pepper. Stir together and pour over pasta and veggies.
- Add 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese per serving.
- Toss, Serve and Savor!